Everyone always asks me what a "lifestyle" newborn session is so I decided to write a blog post about it! I don't photograph "typical" newborn photos. I don't bring props, bean bags or posing pillows. Lifestyle newborn sessions are done in your own home where we utilize your baby's nursery, your room, or your living room. I love these sessions because it allows the whole family to be comfortable. There is no need to worry if your baby doesn't sleep or not. A lot of families have siblings or pets they want in photos and this environment makes for an easy photo op. Big sister can cuddle with baby on the bed or couch! Or your beloved pup might sneak a kiss at some point. Having these done in your own home can be a special and relaxing time.
Rachel May Photography described lifestyle newborn photography in her blog by saying this: "A lifestyle photographer captures just that….the way you’ve styled your life. The clothes, blankets, nursery room and other little details that make your life unique and important for you. A lifestyle photographer, like myself, will use their surroundings and the families interactions to guide their session. Not props or poses that are popular right now. While those are beautifully done it is not what inspires me." LOVE!!! Here are a few tips to get the most our of your in-home newborn session!
1. Study the natural light in your home. Know when the natural light is at its peak so we can schedule your session during that time. Since I am a natural light photographer, I don't typically use any other lighting.
2. Have your bed made and room(s) tidy. I tend to like to use rooms that have a lighter colored bedspread.
3. Your clothing should coordinate with baby's clothing, wraps, or colors in nursery. Light and airy is best!
4. Feed baby right before photographer arrives and have a paci on hand.
5. Don't be afraid to be in these photos! Some of the sweetest ones are with mom and dad.
I hope these examples help you understand what a lifestyle newborn session is all about!